Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whats gonna change?

+4
Doug
Parbear
Kurasu
MKH
8 posters

Go down

Whats gonna change? Empty Whats gonna change?

Post  MKH Thu Oct 14, 2010 3:25 pm

With 4.0 out and Cataclysm hot on its heels, I find myself wondering what changes will we need to make to keep on tanking?

I'm sure after some practice Focus won't be a problem, it's just gonna take some getting used to. But what about the stats changing? Is it going to make it easier or harder to tank? At first glance it looks like it may make it easier but I'm not 100% sure.

What are you guys thoughts? Any ideas to what we should do to adjust to our new hunter ways?

MKH

Back to top Go down

Whats gonna change? Empty Re: Whats gonna change?

Post  Kurasu Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:14 pm

The biggest change is the total removal of crit-immune pets. That's going to be a major 'ouch' for us. As far as I can tell, there's no way to fix that unless we can get Defense trickling down to the pets at some point. For now, though, we just have to pray that the 2% doesn't happen.

Now, one thing I *did* notice is that we may not be as screwed as I originally thought. Thanks to the changes to the speccing, pets will have a big plus to damage. Just respec all the useless (to us pet tankers) stats on your armor to Mastery, to give the pet a bigger boost to damage. The TPS will go through the roof. Threat may no longer be a problem.

Something else that will no longer be a problem: health. Before the patch, in my tanking spec, my pet was at 31k health. Now, in the spec I worked up for DPS (and in my tanking outfit), he's at 41206 health. *41k*. That's 10k more than he had been before. That's not a small boost at *all*. Armor is at 22k, which is about-ish what it had been before (IIRC).

EDIT: Out of curiosity, I set up a 'tanking spec' for the pet. 44017 health, armor similar to the DPS spec (no increase from talents). Wow.

All in all, looking at things, we've got a lot of disadvantages to overcome. But we may well not have to worry as much as I originally thought. The loss of crit immunity is painful. But could the gain of health due to our armor being swapped around, and the increase in TPS, make up for it?

EDIT2: Kill Command gives the threat directly to the pet. This means every time you use it, your pet will be getting a threat-burst. Kill Command has a 6 second CD as long as you can keep your focus high. In a tanking situation, you should probably be spamming Steady Shot for that exact reason: keeping the focus high. So you should never run out of focus, and thanks to GFTT, neither should your pet with a decent crit rating.

Last edited by Kurasu on Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:29 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added in 'tanking spec' health.)
Kurasu
Kurasu

Back to top Go down

Post  Parbear Sat Oct 16, 2010 9:14 am

Unfortunately, the actual defense stat has been removed. Tanking classes become crit immune through talents now. We'll have to find some other way to make up that 1% that we're missing from pet talents.

Parbear

Back to top Go down

Post  MKH Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:58 pm

Our Agi still helps out the pet right? How much Agi would we need to have to fix the crit problem?

MKH

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurasu Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:05 pm

The problem isn't 'the pet getting crits'. The problem is 'The pet getting critically hit'. A critical hit does double damage, which in a boss fight generally means 'instant death or pretty damned well near it'. Thus, the whole idea is to become immune to crits. And unfortunately, Resilience was the only way to do that; not agility.

Pets, at the moment, can only get 4% immunity. Raid immunity (level 83 enemy) is 6%.
Kurasu
Kurasu

Back to top Go down

Post  MKH Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:14 am

Yea that's what I meant. Doesn't some of the hunters agi go to the pet so it would up it's evade and dodge? So with high enough agi the pet will gain enough evade/dodge to make up for the few points it's lacking for defence.

MKH

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurasu Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:54 pm

The 'able to be critically hit' is still there, though. Sure, the pet can dodge more hits with more agility, and armor would get higher, but we wouldn't be able to get it high enough to keep it from dying if a boss smacks it with a critical hit. There's no way to keep *all* hits from us (I wish there was), and the ones that get through will potentially be critical. There are ways to make the pet less likely to be hit, but it's still not something that could fix the crit problem.

We need to balance evasion/armor with health, as well. Something else to be concerned with.

Also, a report from a priest friend yesterday: she was unable to fort my pet. I'm hoping, *REALLY* hoping, that's a bug...
Kurasu
Kurasu

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:02 am

Also, a report from a priest friend yesterday: she was unable to fort my pet. I'm hoping, *REALLY* hoping, that's a bug...

No, that's actually a very useful feature. Pets can't be buffed now since they get there stats directly from you instead.

No more begging for buffs if change pets or if you you mounted when the buffs went out.
Doug
Doug

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurasu Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:40 am

Doug wrote:No, that's actually a very useful feature. Pets can't be buffed now since they get there stats directly from you instead.

As in, stats from buffs are now 1-for-1? Or stats *overall* are 1-for-1?
Kurasu
Kurasu

Back to top Go down

Post  MKH Tue Oct 19, 2010 11:21 am

And what about buffs from pots or food, do those go to the pet as well?

MKH

Back to top Go down

Post  darkynhalvos Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:49 pm

Dunno if it's a bug or not, but when testing buffed and unbuffed health just after the patch hit, I noticed that the stam scroll buff was showing on my pet.

Spiced Mammoth treats also still work, checked health and AP separately when feeding him the treats.

Other than these 2, nothing else goes directly to pets, except for what they get as a portion of your own buffs.
darkynhalvos
darkynhalvos

Back to top Go down

Post  lihui Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:13 pm

Very Happy hi~

lihui

http://www.shoes-clothing-china.com

Back to top Go down

Whats gonna change? Empty gdgg

Post  zhangjiamei241 Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:45 pm

Dunno if it's a bug or not, but when testing buffed and unbuffed health just after the patch hit, I noticed that the stam scroll buff was showing on my pet.

zhangjiamei241

Back to top Go down

Post  lp7631010 Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:55 am

Welcome to WOW world! We are specialized, professional and reliable website for wow gold selling. We supply fast and Cheap wow gold to our loyal and reliable customers .If you want to buy cheap wow gold, please come here. We assure you that you will buy wow gold at a competitive price. With the lowest price and fast delivery speed, as well as good service for you buying Dofus kamas, you will have a lot fun in purchasing Cheapest wow gold..
Don’t hesitate! Buy cheap wow gold now, Let everyone buy wow gold at ease,the best price and services are waiting for you. It’s our honors that you buy wow gold, dofus kamas , aion gold from us.

lp7631010

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down