Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Ultimate(?) Tanking Outfit?

4 posters

:: Forums :: Pet Tanking

Go down

The Ultimate(?) Tanking Outfit? Empty The Ultimate(?) Tanking Outfit?

Post  Kurasu Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:39 am

So now, with the new changes to 'Resilience scales to pet', obviously people are going to be moving on toward PVP gear to get their pet crit-immune. The question I've got here, though: what suit should we be considering?

See, the way I see it, you can haphazardly grab PVP gear and get your pet crit-immune, but you'll be risking your threat generation at some point. As my old fear goes, PVP gear isn't much for +hit for the most part, or for +AP, which our pet needs for scaling Growl.

At the moment, I've got three pieces of PVP gear in my tanking outfit: Furious Gladiator's Wristguards Of Triumph, Furious Gladiator's Cloak Of Victory, Furious Gladiator's Chain Leggings (farming VoA helps a lot with getting this stuff). I have been strongly eyeing up the PVP helm in Wintergrasp (that'll take some more marks), and altogether that would give me 222 Resilience. Considerably below the mark that we need for crit immunity.

So, are there some suggestions for what I can use for the last of my crit-immunity, particularly if it can keep me from having to lose too much threat generation?

For that matter, is there anyone who's *got* a crit-immune suit of gear and has done some heavy-duty tanking?
Kurasu
Kurasu

Back to top Go down

The Ultimate(?) Tanking Outfit? Empty Re: The Ultimate(?) Tanking Outfit?

Post  Ground-DH Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:11 pm

I've been toying with using the +45 stamina head enchant (from engineering tinkering) and stamina gemming the Titan helm from Wintergrasp so that I have one item that is very stamina heavy and swaps in without doing too much damage. The biggest problem here is that I use my PvP set more than most of my other gear, so I may have to buy a second helm for it.

All that considered, I've run a few tank runs now and have never had issues with threat generation. Omen reports my pet at around 1500 TPS most times (more under BW), but I haven't had anyone pull agro except over-exhuberant warlocks.

Ground

Ground-DH

Back to top Go down

Post  Durante Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:01 am

Personally I love PvP gear for tanking. Aside from frost resist gear its (almost?) always at the top of the charts for stamina at the same gear level while still having a reasonably high amount of AP compared to PvE gear. You miss out on haste and Armor Pen, but they really don't provide much for tanking anyway. You do miss out on Hit with PvP pieces with the exception of the rings, cloaks and necks but as you mentioned there is the Titan-Forged gear.

The only downside is I can't go filling my Furious gear with all Stam gems. I'm hoping that I can start with a decently high ranking from the begining of the season instead of creeping my way up for the first month like last time, then maybe get lucky with some vault drops so I can have enough points for a PvP set and a tanking set of Relentless Glad gear next season, and not have to worry about regemming or enchanting.

Then again, I think I generally tend to be less worried out threat as most of you guys. My tanking tends to be planning way out ahead of time as guild events and whatnot, I'm sure If I was trying to tank pug heroics with a crit happy destro lock I'd learn to put a premium on threat in a hurry.
Durante
Durante

Back to top Go down

Post  Nordh Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:01 am

Kurasu, you can get quite far with gems for resillience if you need just that extra little boost to it.

Nordh

http://www.nightcrew.se/nordhbane

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurasu Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:38 pm

Durante wrote:I'm sure If I was trying to tank pug heroics with a crit happy destro lock I'd learn to put a premium on threat in a hurry.

Try it with RetPallies and HanceShams. I do OK with a warlock (in fact I use one as my threat tests; she's amiable to it), but the bursts of damage that both Enhance and Ret throw at full burn pulls aggro too easily.

I've been stacking some of the resilience enchantments, and that's helped a lot. Along with the helm, I'm getting up there. The shoulder and head enchantments in particular seem to be solid; only lose a little bit of stamina from the tanking enchants, and gain plenty of resilience. Not like we need the defense they give, after all!

I'm hoping for the Relentless stuff in the Vault, yeah. I don't have any hope of getting in high-rank on Arenas, since I suck so bad at PVP, so I'm not even bothering to look at the stuff that won't vault-drop. Until I get lucky, though, planning to make do with what I've got. Very Happy
Kurasu
Kurasu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down