Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boaring Boars?

+2
Durante
Bear behind
6 posters

:: Forums :: The Pets

Go down

Boaring Boars? Empty Boaring Boars?

Post  Bear behind Tue Apr 21, 2009 5:36 am

My first pet was a Boar at level 10 - I still have him and levelled my hunter all the way to 70 with him.

Boars were famous for their charge which meant you could build aggro quickly on a single target.

my question is:
Are boars still viable as a Raid OT?

The OT often grabs the red X target in trash and is needed to Offtank the boss adds - so alot of single target tanking. Can Boars still build up decent aggro since charge got nerfed and given to all pets? (Like thunderstomp has - i think blizz will one day offer us a single model with all abilities and it will just be called 'pet' Rolling Eyes)
Bear behind
Bear behind

Back to top Go down

Boaring Boars? Empty Re: Boaring Boars?

Post  Durante Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:17 am

Unfortunately the boar special is mostly useless. Depending on buffs and gear the double damage from Gore following a charge may amount to a few hundred damage and threat at the start of an encounter, but after that Gore does the same average damage as their normal threat dump.

Gore Bite
122 - 164 = 143 118 - 168 = 143

The only advantage to Gore after the initial cast is its 20 focus casting cost vs. the 25 focus/cast for Bite.

Boars are still capable of tanking in all other respects so don't get rid of the guy if you have an attachment to him, but in terms of min/maxing there's no reason to use one in comparison to a bear, croc, or turtle.
Durante
Durante

Back to top Go down

Post  Bear behind Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:16 am

Yeah - what i thought Sad Gore is so underpowered

I've been using a gorilla for a good while and a bear recently. I guess poor old porkchop will sit in his stables for a while longer...
Bear behind
Bear behind

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurasu Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:20 am

While I know they nerfed it back then, maybe there should be a push to make it so gore 'Adds moderate threat' or something to that effect. Or even 'After a charge, does double damage and adds a great deal of threat'. Pets have changed a lot since the boar's Growl-nerfing, after all. Having a pet with a single target threat burst doesn't seem as if it would be overpowered to me. And if they did it to stop the farmers as so many people seem to be suggesting, then it's certainly not going to make boars any more op than any other Thunderstomping/Guard Dog pet nowadays. It might even make them viable again!
Kurasu
Kurasu

Back to top Go down

Post  Ihlos Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:03 pm

That would make them great for trash mobs where people don't want to wait for threat build up.

Has anyone tried to evaluate the threat of each pet ability to determine which is best for single target threat?
Ihlos
Ihlos
Admin

http://bigredrhino.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Durante Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:45 pm

Ihlos wrote:That would make them great for trash mobs where people don't want to wait for threat build up.

Has anyone tried to evaluate the threat of each pet ability to determine which is best for single target threat?
Shhh, don't spoil my surprise. That's part of the secret project. Wink
Durante
Durante

Back to top Go down

Post  Ihlos Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:54 pm

looking forward to it! What a Face
Ihlos
Ihlos
Admin

http://bigredrhino.wordpress.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Kheldul Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:37 pm

I loved my pet Bacon, but I had to give him up for a slot 10 levels ago. Then I restocked him with a new Bacon with an armor plating "skin". Then I gave him up for the ghost hydra crocolisk. I did love how he'd squeal and charge.
Kheldul
Kheldul

http://hunter-dps.dungeoneer.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Malatov Wed May 13, 2009 3:21 pm

I'd really like to see something interesting done to boars, but more entertaining than gore doing more damage or threat, if at least to make it not only popular but cool. Mebbie a toned down Monstrous Bite (Devilsaur) in reverse? Say each time they get hit they increase size and damage by 1-3% and stack it 3 times?

Malatov

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

:: Forums :: The Pets

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum