Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to pet tanking

4 posters

:: Forums :: Pet Tanking

Go down

New to pet tanking Empty New to pet tanking

Post  Wildshot Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:38 am

Okay, so I just spent a whole day putting together tank gear for my pet and I'm just wondering what stats I should be shooting for. I think right now my hunter has about 2050-ish stamina which gives my pet something around 25.2k health. Is this a decent area to start trying to convince some ppl to let my pet tank? I'm also curious for any help as to what trinkets would be best to use for tanking.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

P.S. I think I logged out in my tank gear. Wildshot of Rivendare.

Armory Link - http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Rivendare&n=Wildshot

Wildshot

Back to top Go down

New to pet tanking Empty Re: New to pet tanking

Post  Doug Wed Dec 30, 2009 6:27 am

At 25k pet health you should reach a good 35k which should serve you quite well in most heroics. As for your talents, I would take some out of either GftT or BD, since you only need 1/2 Bestial Discipline (and no GftT) if you are not using a Bear. My spec has 1/2 in each. Personally I skip Revive Pet and only have 1/2 Mend pet, since I find it better to get the extra crit goodness of Mortal Shots for that initial Volley.

Convincing people to run with you might be a trickier proposition, but some are willing to give it a go.

By far the hardest part of pet tanking is just getting the experience under your belt, but once you have run five or six dungeons it should start feeling more smooth. After doing about twenty I have stopped having major cardiac events with every pull, now it is only every second or third one.

You would be hard pressed finding something more fun to do in WoW though, in my humble opinion, so I wish you the best of luck Smile.
Doug
Doug

Back to top Go down

Post  bigfootzz Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:30 pm

Your gear doesnt look bad but there are a few important things your missing the biggest is you arent hit capped. ITs a MUST for pet tanking every growl or thunderstomp and other attackers are vital to hit each and everytime.

The other is ap the more ap you have the more tps your pet has. Currently I sit at about 27k hp my self pets at 23k with 4.3k ap. Which isnt perfect but Im able to keep 4kish dps from pulling off my pet.

It takes time and toying to get good at pet tanking, look into scrolls and party buffs to fill in gaps you come across.

If you need anything just ask we are all pretty cool other then Doug....=P

ed
bigfootzz
bigfootzz

http://timewastedtuesday.net

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:55 am

If you need anything just ask we are all pretty cool other then Doug.

That's right, cuz I'm one hot tamale. Twisted Evil
Doug
Doug

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurasu Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:11 pm

When I looked, I was too late. You're logged out in your DPS outfit. Woe. Sad Although I will say that I see you have an Undeath Carrier. Definitely keep that thing around for tanking. Other than heavy gladiator stuff, there is *not* a better tanking weapon until ToC25 (IMO). The only thing it's missing is hit, and you should be able to make up your +hit in enough other places to spare it.

Without being able to see your suit, I can't give hardcore suggestions on my side of things. Very Happy I can, however, say that you may want to consider a point in Aspect Mastery if you can spare it. The extra ATP will carry down to your pet's Growl, and that in turn helps TPS a *lot*. If you are tanking with a party, you might be able to sacrifice a point in Improved Mend Pet, for example, since you'll have a healer doing the hard work for you in cleansing.
Kurasu
Kurasu

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurasu Sat Jan 09, 2010 5:36 am

Wildshot wrote:I'm also curious for any help as to what trinkets would be best to use for tanking.

I only just noticed this. Please forgive the double-post. Very Happy

There are a few that stand out. If you have any of them, then you can just ignore me. Very Happy None of the ones I mention here are gotten from raid-only, either.

First off, if you have them, the Direbrew mugs. It's understandable if you don't, but keep it in mind! Especially since next year's may be even better.

The Black Heart: comes out of ToC normal. You'll have a lot of tanks using this to gear up, though, so it might take a while to get it.

Essence Of Gossamer: AN Heroic. This is probably the #1 starting trinket for a pet tanker because it's so easily accessible. You can't chain run it like you can with ToC, but gear levels are more forgiving.

Corroded Skeleton Key: Our biggest numbers yet, for 'easily' accessible items. This'll take a bunch of Badges Of Frost, however, which means lots of dailies (or raids, though I did say that you could get them without raids). For the hardcore tanker, well worth it.
Kurasu
Kurasu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down